Friday, February 26, 2010

Impossible, Improbable, Or Hopeless?

Have you ever found yourself in a situation that seems impossible, improbable, or absolutely hopeless? Perhaps you find yourself there right now. Be encouraged! Ok, I know what you're thinking. How in the world do those situations lend themselves to times of great encouragement? Here's my point. God loves these moments. I think He longs for these opportunities to show up in a powerful way on behalf of His sons and daughters. All throughout the history of the world, God has performed mightily in situations like these.

Can you picture Moses and the children of Israel at the Red Sea? Behind them is a massive army charging after them who I'm sure is prepared to destroy them all. They have no way out. It's a hopeless situation, and then all of a sudden, God shows up and splits the sea and provides them with a way out. I'm thinking if I'm there watching this unfold, I would have gone from screaming in fear to statements like, "Are you kidding me?" "Is this really happening?" "Woo Hoo!!!" and "This is unbelievable!!!" Of course, that would all be followed by a bit of taunting directed toward the charging army. I don't know about you, but I think that is some pretty incredible stuff.

How about the time when Joshua is fighting and they need a few more hours of sunlight in order to win the battle? Scripture tells us the sun stood still for nearly a day. Think about that. The One who slung the sun, moon, stars, and planets into orbit apparently held out His hand and told them to stop for a few hours. Can you imagine watching this play out? I can picture some of the conversations going on. "Man, is it just me or does anyone else feel like this has been a really long day?" "Oh, great my sundial appears to be broken."

Abraham has a son when he's 100. David takes down a giant. The walls of Jericho just fall down. Elijah calls down fire from heaven. Three men are thrown into a fiery furnace and walk out unharmed. Daniel spends the night with hungry lions and walks out alive. A widow is blessed with an endless supply of oil. Lazarus is raised from the dead. On and on and on the stories go with God working in a powerful way time after time.

When I think of these stories, I am reminded of the unlimited power and strength of our God. I'm reminded of the fact that all things were made by Him and all things are subject to Him. I'm reminded that there is nothing impossible for Him. Even when things seem hopeless, impossible, or improbable. As a matter of fact, that's when God does His best work. Its in those moments when questions abound and you find yourself at the end of your ability that God intervenes in ways that boggle the human mind.

So, if you find yourself in one of those seasons in life when things look impossible, improbable, or hopeless, be encouraged!!! God is about to flex his muscles and perform powerfully on your behalf.


No comments:

Post a Comment