Friday, April 4, 2008

Stuff

I was going through one of my never ending piles of stuff today. You know those things that you set down and think I'll get to that as soon as I can. Of course, you never do, so that pile grows until it gets moved to another location so another pile can start. It's a cycle that never seems to end. Then, you start hunting for something and in the middle of "stuff" that should have been thrown away weeks, or maybe months ago, and you find what you're looking for.

Perhaps, you are extremely organized and can in no way relate to what I'm saying. I know there are those of you who fit into that category, but I don't. Anyways, it got me to thinking about "stuff." Most of us, even if we don't do the pile thing, have "stuff" around our house that no longer serves any purpose. Perhaps, it's in the garage, or the attic, or in the closet, or under our bed. Or, you may have a storage facility somewhere that is making money off of you while you hold on to "stuff" you no longer utilize.

If you are at all like me, you have clothes in your closet that you haven't worn in who knows how long. I personally have clothes that I am determined to fit back into some day when I lose a few pounds. Of course, my wife says she'll splurge for some new clothes should that day arrive since those clothes in the closet are a bit shall we say, "80s." And no, they aren't parachute pants. They are Bugleboy pleated blue jeans.

Enough about me. The point is that we all have "stuff" we are holding onto for whatever reason. Sure, there are those family heirlooms and other things of sentimental value, but then there's all that other "stuff." I'm just wondering what it is that makes us want to hold onto things that are doing nothing for us anymore, but take up space somewhere. Imagine how many needy people those extra clothes in our closets would clothe. Or, how much money we could make on ebay if we just sat down one Sat. and started listing some of our "stuff." Or, how many unfortunate kids would go ballistic over some toy our kids have long forgotten they had. I'm not talking about junk here. Junk just needs to be tossed, but there are those things in our possession that we no longer use that someone else would treasure. Maybe its just me, but I think we could make a difference in peoples lives with just a few things we have sitting around the house.

Scripture tells us that we reap what we sow. I truly believe that when we learn to release our "stuff," it does something in the heavenlies and allows God to release His stuff. And believe me, His "stuff" is much better than our "stuff."

No comments:

Post a Comment