Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'll Do It Tomorrow

I had a dentist appointment here about 3 weeks ago. It was just a routine checkup, nothing major going on with the pearly whites. I don't have dental insurance, but I've been able to hook up with a free clinic that takes care of all my dental needs. A couple of years ago, I had a problem with one of my wisdom teeth, and it had to come out. Other than that, I've never had any problems with my wisdom teeth so they all remain, minus the one that was extracted back then. I say all that to say that the wisdom tooth that opposed the one that was pulled now needs to come out. No big problem with it yet, but it is dropping down now since there is not a tooth to oppose it. It may not cause any problems for a couple years or more, but eventually it will.

Of course, the extraction of a tooth is not a pleasant procedure. And I have to admit, I am a pretty big wimp when it comes to this kind of stuff. Naturally, my nature is to put this thing off as long as possible. I'm not sure why, but I just want to delay the painful procedure as long as I can.

A lot of us are like that with many things. There are those things that often need to be nipped in the bud, but for some reason we hesitate and as a result, things usually grow worse. Or, maybe we have a pain, or lump, or some other physical abnormality, and we put off heading to the doctor as long as we can. How about those issues in a relationship that need to be addressed, but we continually put it off, until that day when everything comes to a head and emotions get out of control? What about all that time you were going to spend with your kids one day, only to find them all grown up now? What about those piano lessons you were always going to take, or those vacations you were going to go on, or those letters you were going to write?

What is it about us that wants to put things off? If we could only learn to deal with things quickly how much time spent worrying could be avoided? How much tension in a relationship could be put to rest? How much more could we accomplish in our lives? With me, there are a few different reasons for all this procrastination. Sometimes its fear, sometimes its ADD, and sometimes its just a desire to find the easy road to take. You know that road that doesn't have any speed bumps, curves, or traffic jams. Funny thing is, that easy road somehow always finds it way right back to where it started. Although, I've made great strides in this area over the course of the last few years, I'm still a work in process.

If you're one who often puts things off, hoping and praying they'll disappear, trust me, more times than not they'll still be there in the morning. Learn to address those issues in your life that need to addressed asap. Make a decision to face things head on when they come up and refuse to put them off. Are there relationships that need your attention? Take time out and invest the time and energy necessary to bring about restoration. Start making plans now to do those things that you've always wanted to do.

I've discovered in my life, when I live like this, life is much more fulfilling and not nearly as frustrating. Of course, when it comes to the wisdom tooth, I think I'll put that off another week or so. Remember, I said I was a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment