Friday, March 5, 2010

Thank God For The Glimpses!

A few days ago my wife Lori, overheard a conversation between our two boys. It was a conversation in which our 7-year-old was trying to explain to our 3-year-old the concept of the Trinity, or Triune being of God. The conversation went something like this. “Now, Josiah, I want to explain something very important to you. God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all the same, but they are all different. There’s God, and there’s Jesus, and there’s the Holy Spirit and all of them are one, but they are all still different. There’s 3 of them, but they are one. I know this is hard for you, but you have to understand this.” Can't you just picture that. I don’t know about you, but most of the time I feel like my 7 year old when I set out to explain this same topic.

To be completely honest, I often feel like that trying to explain any aspect of God. Let's face it, He is far beyond our brain's ability to fully comprehend. And, He's light years beyond our ability to truly describe Him. Yet, we do get glimpses don't we. Those moments when we see Him in a way we never have. Those moments when we have those "God encounters" or epiphanies. Those times when we see His goodness. Or, those times we experience His comfort or peace during the storms of life. Those times when we become cognisant of His unconditional love as well as those times we become keenly aware of His chastening. Sometimes it happens in those still quite moments. Sometimes its through the truth of Scripture, while other times it just happens as we journey through life.

For me, every time, its mind-blowing. With each small glimpse of Him, my brain is truly overwhelmed. Not just that, but I find with each glimpse something in me is altered. Maybe, its my faith becoming enlarged or my confidence in Him being taken to new heights. Maybe, its pride in me dying while humility is growing. Perhaps, its me becoming more aware of Him and of others and less absorbed with self. What I'm trying to say is those glimpses aren't just experiences. They are life altering moments as our frail flesh encounters this truly awesome God. Perhaps, that's why we just get the glimpses for now. Scripture tells us that right now we see Him as if we are looking through unclear or darkened glass but one day we will see Him as He truly is. Just think if the glimpses blow you away, what would happen if you were to catch a sight of Him in his fullness!

All I know is Moses caught a glimpse and his physical appearance was altered. Jacob caught a glimpse and he limped for the rest of his life. Saul caught a glimpse of Him on the road to Damascus and his life was never the same. I think its no different today. When we truly see a glimpse of Him, our life is altered.

How I truly long for that day, when we will see Him clearly. When we really see Him as He is. When questions will be answered and mysteries about Him will be revealed. I can't wait to know Him and see Him in a way that right now I can only dream of. But, until that day, I'll be looking for the next moment He blows me away. I'll be anticipating the next time He reveals something about Himself that I've never seen. Yep, until that day, I'll thank God for the glimpses!

No comments:

Post a Comment