Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thank God The Stink Is All Gone!

I went fishing the other day. I didn't catch a thing. Not sure of what kind of fish might be in this particular fishing hole, I tried several options. Lures, fake worms, and my personal favorite, stink bait. Hopefully, you can hear my sarcasm loud and clear concerning stink bait. I hate it. It stinks really bad. And once you touch it, your hands stink. You can wash and wash and wash and still the stench lingers. Its absolutely putrid. Why we humans would ever eat a fish that would devour this stuff is beyond me. Yet, I really like catfish.

This day though there would be no catfish. Just the stink. And like always I washed, I sanitized, and then washed and sanitized several more times. Then, I took a whiff of my hands only to smell the stink, mingled with the aroma of the soap. Yep, it was still there. I was stuck with it for a while. I could try covering it up, but trust me it was still there.

Not sure about you, but I've tried that same method when it comes to getting rid of the stink in my life. You know, that stuff that stinks in the nostrils of God. Diligently I've worked, trying to clean up the stink. I've attempted time and time again to get myself clean, only to find that nothing I do comes close to making me smell any better. Sure, I may cover it up, but truth be told, the stench still remains. My best falls so very short of any aroma that would ever be pleasing to God.

I just thank God that getting rid of the stink, isn't up to me. He saw me in my helpless state, and stepped in to remedy it all. The One Who knew no sin, and was never tainted with any kind of stench, chose to become my sin and smell like me. In doing so, He didn't just cover my stink, but washed it all away. Now, a perfectly pleasing aroma rises from this person I now am and I now stand perfectly acceptable to God.

As I write this the smell of the stink bait has faded away and for that, I am extremely thankful. More importantly though as far as God is concerned, my stink hasn't just faded away, it's as if it never was there. Though, I am not completely sure how God pulls this miracle off, one thing is for certain....I thank God the stink is all gone!


No comments:

Post a Comment