Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Jesus Could Just Snap His Fingers And BLAM!

"Jesus could just snap his fingers and BLAM! It would be done!" I stood there listening to my 7 year old boasting of all that Jesus could do.  He's a bit animated so his eyes were wide open and arms were in full gesturing mode.  I felt as if I was watching a miniature version of  myself.  He went from scenario to scenario with each one becoming greater and  greater.  BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! He hammered each one with this exclamation for dramatic affect.  To each BLAM, I simply nodded in agreement.  

Later I got to thinking, "what's happened to us?"  I remember as a child, having that kind of faith.  I believed God could do anything.  No, let me rephrase that, I KNEW God could do anything.  No task was too big.  No problem was too big.  No issue too insignificant.  God could do anything!

Then I grew up. I grew up in a world that doesn't think about God like that.  I grew up in a world that wants desperately to minimize who God is and what He can do.  It's a world whose philosophy  elevates man and his abilities while diminishing God and His abilities.  It's a world that can't quite wrap their brain around this concept of an omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient Being.  So they reject Him.  Maybe not everything about Him, but parts of Him.  They paint a picture of Him that's not completely accurate.  They downsize Him into a manageable ideal.  And as they do, the BLAMs disappear.  What they are left with is a "god" who has little resemblance to the One we read about in Scripture.   

This isn't just on the outside of the church.  It's an epidemic inside her walls.  Perhaps our "god" looks a little different than the worlds but does it really look like the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?  Does He resemble the God of Elijah and Elisha? We pray prayers hoping for a "BLAM," but not really convinced we'll see it. We pray about things and then continue to worry about them.  We ask God to take the weight of things for us, then we pick them back up and load them on our shoulders again.  Why? Because we've grown up.  And as we've grown up, we've slowly put more trust in ourselves than in Him.  Our actions prove we are more confident in our ability to carry the weight of our world than His ability.  Just like the world, we've elevated ourselves and shrunk our concept of God. And we walk through life with a major "BLAM" deficiency.

As I listened to my son on that day, I was hanging on every word.  And as I did I thought to myself I want be like him.  I want to recapture that kind of faith.  A faith that knows.  A faith that's convinced.  A faith that doesn't waver.  A faith that isn't "grown up" but is as strong as a little child's.  A faith that knows that Jesus could just snap His fingers and BLAM!   

No comments:

Post a Comment