Monday, February 16, 2015

Oh, But Thank God For The Rain!

As I sit here this morning listening to the rain, a day away from my 48th birthday, I can't help but be reminded of how a rainy day in 1937 changed everything as far as my life is concerned.  My grandmother was pregnant with my dad at the time.  It was an unwanted pregnancy and she wanted to terminate the pregnancy.  She knew someone who would do the procedure and one evening she attempted to convince my grandfather to go along with her desire to abort my father. When she woke up the next morning the money was on the table to pay for the abortion. Oh, but thank God for the rain!  The rain was pouring down the next morning.  My grandmother, unwilling to get out in the rain, put off the abortion.  A few days passed, then a few weeks, and eventually she decided to not follow through with the abortion.

I tremble at the thought of what would have been had it not been raining that day in West Virginia in 1937.  How not only would I not be here, but neither would my two brothers or sisters.  There would be no Benjamin or Josiah.  No Corey, Chelsi, Chad, or Caleb.  No Jaedyn, Paityn, Logan, or Reagan. And no baby Levi.  Oh, but thank God for the rain!

Tomorrow I'll turn 48.  I'll turn 48 because of a decision made by my grandmother 78 years ago to stay home rather than get out in the pouring rain.  And while I'm not all that pumped up about being a year closer to 50, I am pumped up about life.  I'm pumped up about being alive and I'm determined to live this life to the fullest.  So, if you ever see a grey headed man, nearing 50, out dancing in the rain, he's not crazy.  He's just so thankful for the rain!!!

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing and beautiful story! Celebrating the rain with you too!
    Carolyn Heckel

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing and beautiful story! Praise the Lord for rainy days!

    ReplyDelete