Sunday, December 27, 2015

My Encounter With A 92 Year Old Prophetess

We have a ministry team that goes to a local assisted living home each month to minister to the residents there.  I was asked to accompany them this month and to share the Christmas story.  We had sung several Christmas songs and I was getting ready to do my thing.  Then from out of nowhere another preacher took center stage.  For the next several minutes we all listened as so eloquently this 92 year old lady named Hazel spoke the Word of God. 

I was a bit dumbfounded to say the least.  Just moments earlier, I observed her frantically looking for her husband.  She seemed confused and worried.  She seemed to have zoned out for a moment or two, then with clarity she began to speak the oracles of God.  She didn't skip a beat. She quoted Scripture and this precious lady to whom we had come to minister to became the minister. On this particular day, the Word of the Lord came forth from a 92 year old lady in a nursing home that Jesus will never leave you nor forsake you.  Hmm...I'm wondering who knows this truth better than a 92 year old woman who has been placed in a nursing home?     

I sat there thinking to myself, "this lady's faith is not a synthetic faith."  It wasn't born from a ritualistic approach to religion. I knew nothing about her, but in just a few moments I could tell beyond the shadow of a doubt that she had been with Jesus.  She wasn't simply spewing vain, religious, jargon, but was speaking the Word of God dripping with the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Her's was a faith that was real, not theological positions or doctrinal beliefs void of real life application.  It was clear to see that she knew this Jesus who she spoke about.  Before she finished, she looked at me and declared, "I think you could be called to preach."  She echoed that declaration as she looked at a young man with our team.  I thought am I sitting at the feet of a prophetess? 

I can't help but think how often people like Hazel are put away in homes like these and forgotten about.  Afterall, what does a 92 year old have to offer us any longer, right?  How foolish of us.  How utterly foolish it is to not respect, honor, and value what the elderly sages still bring to the table.  I'm convinced if we would shut-up for a moment or two, we could learn valuable lessons from the Hazels that we encounter in life.

I would go on to share the story of Christ's birth with those gathered round but to be honest, Hazel needed me to add nothing on this day.  I was there to remind them that Jesus, had come.  Hazel was there to testify that yes, indeed He had come but equally important was the truth that He has not left us alone. She knows all too well that He is truly Immanuel, God with us!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment