Friday, February 29, 2008

Beware Of Distractions

I consider myself a safe driver. Other than 1 serious accident during my first few months of driving, I've been able to stay clear of even a fender bender. Now, don't get me wrong, there have been those times when God, his angels, and probably the prayers of loved ones have preserved my life when I've made some driver's errors that could have led to some major tragedies. But all in all, I think I do pretty well.

That being said, I have to admit, I can get very distracted when I'm driving. Not, dangerous, just distracted. For instance, if I'm on the phone or in conversation with someone in the car, or just not thinking, I'll completely forget where I'm headed. This week, it happened at least four times. Once, I was watching an airplane come in for a landing and drove right past the place I was going. Oh yeah, and then there was the time this week, I took off before everyone was in the car. Anyways, I find myself time and time again, having to turn around because I've missed my turn. I'm not a multi-tasker. I know there are those who can do multiple things at once. Like teens who can do their homework, watch tv, talk on their cell phone, surf the internet, and listen to their Ipod all at once. I rarely can do more than one thing at a time. Generally, if anything else is added to my current list of tasks, it throws my brain into overload. As a result, I tend to get little done when I try to take on multiple tasks at the same time.

Perhaps you find yourself like me sometimes. God has given you a dream or something to accomplish, and you take off with the goal in sight. Then, the distractions start to come. They start to mount up and before long, you've totally lost sight of what you're doing. You find yourself surrounded by distractions and the dreams are a distant memory. And you begin to ask yourself, "How in the world did I get here?"

Listen, our enemy, the devil, is very clever and understands that if he can just distract us, he can keep us from accomplishing all the things God longs for us to accomplish. The key is to recognize his tactic and refuse to fall into that trap. We must keep our eyes on the goal and not allow ourselves to be distracted by things that will get us off track. There are a lot of good things out there that are not necessarily, God things. It is important for us to allow the Holy Spirit to lead us in everything we do. The Word of God teaches us that He'll lead us and guide us in all things. So, allow Him to do so. Allow Him to help you to limit the distractions and focus on the things God wants you to focus on so that you can be all that God created you to be.

I'll tell you this much, its a lot better than always having to turn around. Trust me, it wastes a lot of time, in addition to the fact that everyone in the car laughs at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment