Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Can Somebody Slow This Thing Down?

Have you ever been a passenger in a car and the driver was driving way to fast for your comfort zone? I'm not talking 10 or 15 mph over the speed limit. I'm talking "way" too fast! To the point where you are thinking if we hit a bump in this road we are toast. I must admit in my younger days, I was in that passenger seat a few times. The whole time I'm praying for God to save me and hoping this crazed lunatic driver comes to his senses before we, or at least I meet Jesus face to face. It's a helpless kind of feeling. You really have no control and you are at the mercy of the guy driving.

Have you ever felt that way when it comes to life? Life is coming at you at what seems a million miles an hour, from a million different directions. If your life is anything like mine, I know you can relate. We're hit by the unexpected time and time again, and we just want someone to slow this thing down. At times, we feel swept away by it all and totally out of control. We feel like we have no control and find ourselves at the mercy of the one driving this thing we call life.

That's really it isn't it? We're not in control. We can't control everything and that puts us in a tough position sometimes. It puts us in a position where we have to trust God. It requires us to rely on him and not our ability. Let's face it, that can be extremely uncomfortable for us. I feel like I live here about 99% of the time.

For example, just about 7 weeks before my wife and I got married, we both got laid off from our jobs. Great wedding gift, huh? I had worked in ministry for several years receiving a pretty small salary which was no big deal since I was a single guy. Of course, with that type of salary, its not like you are able to have some nest egg put away for difficult times like this. The truth is there was no savings account, not much in my checking account, and I'm out of a job just weeks before I take Lori to be my wife. Can you say uncomfortable? Or better yet, panic stricken?

Prior to our unemployment, Lori and I had discussed the issue of where we would live once we got married. We had pretty much decided we wanted a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment or small home to lease. I remember after we were laid-off, I told Lori that the only way we would ever get that 2 bedroom 2 bath place was if someone gave it to us. Funny thing, that's exactly what happened. Within just a few days, Lori had landed a job with an apartment complex that provided us with a place for free. I remember going with Lori to inquire about the job. When we went there we were certain that the apartment that we would get would be the small 1 bedroom plan. I will never forget our reaction when the lady showing us the apartments said that all the plans at this complex were 2 bedroom 2 bath. I know God's got a since a humor, because I think I almost heard an audible chuckle from him that day.

Here's the point, we were thrown into an unexpected whirlwind and things did not go as we had planned. The truth is, Lori and I both found jobs that payed better money and we got a free apartment for a season. Our lives are full of stories like that. Time and time again, God has proven that he knows what he's doing. He has never left us in a bind. Truth is, he's always gotten us out of them. I'm sure if you look back at your life, you'll find the same kind of thing. God just doing his God stuff and proving over and over that he can be trusted.

So what's all the fuss about? Let's just trust that God's on his throne and everything is gonna be alright. So, sit back, buckle up and enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment