Thursday, September 13, 2007

I Think I Caught Of Glimpse Of Jesus The Other Day

Have you ever wondered what Jesus looks like? Sure, we've all seen those pictures of him with the long hair, full beard, and the long robe, but wouldn't it be great to see him for real? I'm talking up close and personal. Face to face. One on one. Believe it or not, I think I did. Incidentally, he didn't look anything like the pictures.

My wife and were in the process of putting our house on the market. Our house is relatively new, so there's not a lot of work to be done, but there's a few things that need to be taken care of. However, that list of things began to grow as one thing after another began going wrong. One thing in particular that went belly-up was our garage door opener. I come home one afternoon, push the button to open the door, pull the car in the garage, and then push the button to close it, and nothing happens. Just like that, no more garage door opener. Now, I'm not the greatest fix-it man in the world, but I am capable of trouble shooting things and narrowing down the possibilities of what could be wrong. In this instance after working on the thing for several days, my non-expert diagnosis was that I needed to call in a professional.

There happens to be a guy at my church that installs garage doors so I gave him a call. He takes a look at it and tries to fix it, but determines I need a new one. Not exactly the news I wanted to hear. Did I mention that our car had just been in the shop as well? The expenses had begun to add up and the thought of an additional bill for a new garage door with installation wasn't exactly making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

A few days later, the guy shows back up at my house with a new garage door and installs it for me. My cost? Zero, nada, nothing, zip!!!! It seems my garage door guy called a few people and together they took care of it for me. I have to admit, that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I recently read a quote made by a 4th century Greek writer named Lucian, who by the way, opposed the early church. "“It is incredible,” says Lucian, “to see the ardor with which the people of that religion help each other in their wants. They spare nothing. Their first legislator has put into their heads that they are all brethren.” What a testimony! When the world can say that kind of thing about the church of today, then I think we will find that we are on the right track.

I really believe our mission in life should be nothing less than being Jesus with skin on. We so often pray for God to show up and do something, but I think we are really missing it. We fail to realize that God is waiting on us to show up and do something. He just needs some skin to put on and he'll do some powerful things. He just needs someone's hands and feet to work through and someone's heart to love through.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I saw Jesus the other day. By the way, he has brownish blond hair and drives a white truck that has parts to garage door openers in the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment